Whether a mom has young or adult children, there’s one thing she wants: appreciation.
Just like there are many ways to show love, you can show her appreciation in a variety of ways, which I’ll mention in a bit. The most important thing to remember is that if she doesn’t feel it, no matter what you do, your gift may fall flat.
The following is a general guide. Some moms can fall into multiple categories, however. Use this as a jumping off point to get ideas flowing and to really think about what she’d like. If you and your mom have different ways of expressing and feeling appreciation, this may be a bit more difficult, but in the end all you can do is try. Why? Because she’s Mom.
- Some moms enjoy functional, useful things that she either needs or will make her life easier. If she enjoys cooking or baking, a nifty kitchen gadget that she’s been wanting is perfect.
- Other moms enjoy sentimental gifts, such as anything you spent time creating. Photos or clever ways of capturing special memories are always enjoyed. If you write her a heartfelt letter on beautiful stationery telling her how much she means to you or paint her a ceramic, she’ll cry tears of joy.
- And we can’t forget the mom who enjoys taking care of herself, but she doesn’t want to have to go anywhere to get pampered. She appreciates beauty products, specifically facial care items and creams. Perfume is a possibility, but you have to know her style and taste.
- Some moms love cash and gift cards, depending on your culture. For example, in many Asian cultures, the gift of money is welcomed.
- Then there’s the mom who enjoys the simple things. She doesn’t want you to spend a lot of money. She’d rather you picked some flowers and brought them to her tied in a ribbon than buying a bouquet from the store.
- One type of mom enjoys experiences more than things. If you send her on a trip to get pampered, or have her get her nails and hair done, she’d be over the moon. If you’ve done the whole pampering thing and want something more, send her on a cruise or a wine tasting tour or something that falls in line with her interests.
- Speaking of interests, other moms enjoy gifts that coordinate with their hobbies. If she’s a crafty person, luxurious supplies that she wouldn’t normally buy would make her happy.
- I also wanted to mention the mom who doesn’t get much time to herself. Usually moms of younger children fall into this category. All she wants on this day is to relax. She doesn’t want to have to take care of everyone, so feed her, watch the kids, and give her a free day to do whatever relaxing things she enjoys.
- And lastly, there’s the mom that doesn’t want anything. If you purchase items she thinks are too expensive, she’ll force you to return them. If you want to take her to eat somewhere, she may not want to go because she’ll think this is a waste of money or that the food at home is much better. In this situation, this mom appreciates an act of service. Maybe you can have her car detailed, install something in the home, etcetera.
So there you have it. I hope the list above gave you some ideas. Remember, as long as you show her that she means the world to you, she’ll be happy, but just know that some gifts will speak to her heart better than others.
What types of gifts have you given? Please share and let me know how she responded to them.
Until next time,